City of Marinette Logo

City of Marinette

Site Map
Click Here to Download the City Lines Quarterly Newsletter
Menominee River Footbridge, Marinette, WI

Police Department- FAQ


For any questions not listed here, call the Marinette Police Department at 715.732.5200.

Q: Where is the Marinette Police Department located? How can I contact you?
   MARINETTE, WI 54143
   (715) 732-5200

Q: What are your hours of operation?
A: Hours of operation for PD are M-F 7:30a-4:30p, closed weekends and holidays.

Q: How can I apply for a patrol officer position with the Marinette Police Department?
A: An online application is available for download in the Employment section.

Q: What is the proper procedure to take if I wanted to get rid of an old refrigerator?
A: The first thing you must do is remove the door on the refrigerator immediately. You will then have 10 days to remove the refrigerator from your property. The removal of the Freon is required and this can be done by a heating/cooler contractor. Once this is done the refrigerator will be tagged and can than be disposed of at Marinette Iron & Metal located at N4395 Highway 180. Phone 715.735.5152.

Q: What are the rules concerning overnight parking in the wintertime?
A: The overnight parking ban goes into effect on December 1.
     The ordinance does not state that it must snow before the ordinance can be enforced. The ordinance states that there will be NO overnight parking on City of Marinette streets from the hours of 1 a.m. through 7 a.m. starting December 1st through April 1st. The ordinance is written in this manner so that in the event of snow overnight, vehicles will already be removed.
     Residents are also reminded that overnight parking violation penalties are $20.00 and they double if not paid within 72 hours. Overnight parking tickets will be issued starting December 1st at 1 a.m. All citizens are urged to find parking accommodations if they have not already done so. If a parking ticket is not paid, license plates may be suspended.

Animal Control

For any questions on Animal Control you can call the Marinette Police Department at 715.732.5204.

Q: Is it a requirement to have your dog licensed and have a rabies vaccination in the City of Marinette and if so how do I obtain a license?
A: Yes, It is required by Chapters 95 and 174 of Wisconsin State Statutes. Rabies vaccination are required for all dogs within 30 days after the dog reaching four (4) months of age and re-vaccinated within one year after the initial vaccination. Older dogs must be re-vaccinated when the certificate expires or within three (3) years of the previous vaccination.
     To obtain a license you must provide proof of rabies vaccination to the City Clerk. At this time a license can be obtained. The cost for the license is $3.00 for a spayed or neutered dog. If the dog is not spayed or neutered the cost is $8.00. Proof of this will be on the vaccination records that you provide to the City Clerk. A $5.00 late fee shall be assessed to the owner of each dog who fails to obtain a license prior to April 1st of the current year or with 30 days of acquiring ownership of the licensable dog.
     Note: In addition to dogs, all cats and ferrets are also required to have up to date rabies vaccinations.

Q: What should I do if my dog gets loose or is missing?
A: You can contact one of three places in Marinette/Menominee. Animal Control at (715) 732-5204, the Police Department at 715.732.5200 to report it or you can contact the Town & Country Veterinarian Clinic at 715.735.9511 to see if anyone may have taken your animal there after finding it. It should be noted that all cats found in the City of Marinette are taken to the Town & Country Veterinarian Clinic for impoundment and dogs are taken to the Menominee Animal Shelter 906.864.7297.

Q: Is it legal to let your dog run at large?
A: No, it is the responsibility of the pet owner to maintain control of his dog whether it is on his property or off his property by use a leash.

Q: If I or a member of my family is bitten by another animal do I have to report it?
A: It is the responsibility of any person having knowledge that an animal bite has taken place to report it with 24 hours to either the Marinette Police Department or the Marinette County Health Department. If possible the name and address of the owner and circumstances under which the bite occurred. This is very helpful information in determining what type of health prevention measures need to be taken.

In addition, if you are the owner of an animal that has bitten someone please have your animal's veterinary records readily available to show proof of vaccinations. If you are unable to do so your animal will be impounded and quarantined.

Code Enforcement

For any questions on Code Enforcement you can call the Marinette Police Department at 715.732.5204.

Q: What should I do if my neighbor has an abandoned or unregistered vehicle on their property?
A: You can call the Marinette Police Department Code Enforcement Officer at 715.732.5204 or the Building Inspectors Office at 715.732.5127. When you call provide us with an address and a description of the vehicle if possible. Your neighbor will then be informed of the Municipal Code Violation and what has to be done to rectify the problem.

Q: If my neighbor doesn't cut his grass in the summer or shovel his snow in the winter is there anything that can be done?
A: Yes. Once this is reported your neighbor will be sent a letter informing them of the requirements under the Marinette Municipal Codes.

Crime Prevention

Q: What kind of Crime Prevention programs do you offer?
A: The Marinette Police Department Crime Prevention Unit currently offers the following programs:
   Neigborhood Watch  
   Counter Act
   Security Surveys
   Citizens Academy
   National Night Out
   Bicycle Safety
   Robbery Prevention
   Preventing Vandalism
   Shoplifting Talks
   Kidcare ID

Q: What should I do if I suspect criminal activity in my neighborhood?
A: If you suspect criminal activity, gain as much information about the situation as you can including clothing description, direction of travel, vehicle description, number of people involved and any other information you may feel could help the police. Call the police department and provide all of the necessary information to the dispatcher. You can also contact Marinette county crime stoppers at 715.735.5111 or toll free at 1.800.427.5857. You may be eligible for a cash reward.

Q: How can I protect my property when I go away on business or vacation?
A: Citizens and business owners can call the police department and request a house or business check for the specific amount of time that the property owner will be gone. Officers will check the property at random times throughout the day for the duration of your absence.715-732-5200.

Q: What should I do if I have information about a crime but do not want to get involved because I am fearful of retaliation?
A: If citizens want to remain anonymous while providing information about suspicious situations or tips on crimes they can call Marinette county crime stoppers at 715.735.5111 or toll free at 1.800.427.5857. Also, citizens may be eligible for a cash reward. Or text "Marinette" to 274637 plus your tip.

Q: If I have a CCW permit am I allowed to carry my firearm in a city owned building?
  No, Marinette municipal code 11.0215 prohibits firearms within any publicly owned building or buisiness establilshment open to the public within the City.